Introduction to Blueprint ReadingVancouver Island Construction Association (VICA)
January 30, 2020
Who should take this course?
Introduction to Blueprint Reading covers the basics of blueprint reading and is perfect for those with minimal experience. Course attendees come from a wide range of backgrounds and include estimators, design professionals, operations and administration staff, roofing and window sales professionals, building supply professionals, job seekers, and many others!
What will you learn?
This course is a comprehensive overview of blueprint reading, ideal for those with little or no experience. By the end of the day, you will be able to use blueprints to find trade information and perform simple material take offs. Course topics also include an overview of the design process and the role of design professionals, architectural and engineering scales, floor plans and elevations, and much more!
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
Course fee includes:
- Have an elementary knowledge of blueprint reading as it relates to building construction projects
- Understand in general terms the design process and the role of design professionals
- Understand how Building Codes and Bylaws impact blueprints
- Understand specifications and the contractual hierarchy
- Be able to find trade information using blueprints
- Be able to answer basic construction questions related to the layout and installation of materials
- Identify elementary problems or shortcomings of the blueprints you are using
- Be familiar with architectural, civil, electrical and mechanical drawings, and how they fit together
- Understand and be able to use architectural & engineering scales
- Understand how to convert engineering dimensions to architectural dimensions
- Know what a floor plan, section and elevation are
- Understand symbols, notation, abbreviations and material schedules
- Work with drawings to obtain basic information on dimension, finishes, details, area calculations, and the ability to do simple material take offs
- Be familiar with both commercial and residential blueprints
Lunch, digital certificate provided upon successful course completion, and course material provided by the instructor in-class.
One day of in-class instruction with course instructor.
Public Price: $599.00
Member Price: $399.00
To Register: www.vicabc.ca/courses