Construction 101: Construction Industry BootcampVancouver Island Construction Association (VICA)
May 26 - 27, 2020
Who should take this course?
This course has something for everyone – whether you have years of experience or are new to the industry. Don't be misled by the '101' - over 30% of our course attendees have 10+ years of industry experience! Perfect for procurement professionals and buyers, developing leaders, as well as operations and administrative staff. This course is the industry knowledge boot camp that will support your team's success.
What will you learn?
Created by the industry and for the industry, this course was developed by the CCA to give participants an opportunity to see how different pieces in the construction industry fit together. You’ll get valuable insight into the various industry stakeholders and their roles/responsibilities, construction documents and contracts, risk management, construction law, bidding and tendering, and more!
Course material covers 8 modules and 62 topics including:
Course fee includes:
- Project Start Up
- The Payment Process
- Changes to the Contract
- Schedules and Recording Progress
- Competitive Bidding
- The Bid Form and Supplemental Information
- Calling for Bids and Receiving Bids
- Contract A
- Common Features of Construction Contracts
- Letters of Intents
- Types of Contracts
- Relationships between the Parties
- Canadian Contract Law
- Validity of Contracts
- Mitigation and Dispute Resolution
- Typical CCDC 2 Contract
- Property and Liability Risks
- Exposure to Loss
- Wrap up Policies
- Invitation to Tender and Bid Documents
- Blueprints and Technical Specifications
Complimentary lunch and refreshments provided on both days.
Attendees receive a bundle of valuable reference resources. Course material includes:
- Construction 101 Binder with detailed material developed exclusively for the construction industry by the CCA
- Builders Lien Act Guide
- Full Example copies of the following contract documents:
- CCA 1: Stipulated Price Subcontract
- CCDC 2: Stipulated Price Contract
- CCDC 5A: Construction Management Contract – for Services
- CCDC 5B: Construction Management Contract – for Services and Construction
Two days of in-class instruction, plus an optional, open book, take-home exam (using the Construction 101 Binder) to be completed after the in-class course. The the take home exam consists of 25 questions and will be be based on the material covered in class. Attendees will have 2 weeks to submit their completed exam via email.
Public Price: $799.00
Member Price: $599.00
To Register: www.vicabc.ca/courses